The 17 Benefits of Tribulation (By Shaykh Izzudin Ibn Abdus Salam)
- You realize the power of Lordship over you.
- You realize your object servanthood and your complete state of resignation and brokenness before the will and power of Allah.
- Sincerity to Allah; one has no place of return in putting off or defending against the calamity except to Him. It makes you sincere because the muhsin is the one who call on Allah without any shirk. A moment of ikhlas in this world is enough to save a person.
- You return to Allah and become fervent in your desire to your Lord.
- It leads to a humbled state before Allah and it leads to prayers (du’a) that you call on Allah.
- You become forbearing towards the One who has afflicted you.
- You forgive the one who has wronged you.
- You learn to be patient during the tribulation.
- You become happy about what’s happening because of those benefits.
- You become grateful for it.
- You attain purification through these calamities of your wrongs and sins.
- Enables you to show compassion to people who are in tribulation and to help them.
- Tribulation gives you the blessing of having true knowledge of the value of well-being.
- Allah has prepared rewards for the calamities that you’ve beared patiently or with contentment.
- What is hidden inside the folds of these calamities are blessings.
- Tribulations prevent you from arrogance.
- Contentment. Tribulation afflicts the good and the evil (people), whoever doesn’t like it, it’s against him, he loses the dunya and the akhira. Those who are pleased with it, it’s because he knows it, because paradise is better than anything in this world and if these tribulations are what it takes for him to get to paradise, then he’s content with it.